Head of LMSC
Lecturing: Automatic control systems, Computer simulation (Academic study, 1st cycle), Control systems (Academic study, 2nd cycle, Electronics), Systems modelling and signal processing (Professional study) and Object oriented modelling (Doctoral study).
He received B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from University of Ljubljana, Slovenia in 1977, 1979 and 1989, respectively and became full professor on the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia in 2000. His major research interests are from the area of modelling, simulation and control: methods and tools for computer aided design of control systems, multi-domain and object oriented modelling and simulation, hybrid control systems, harmonization of thermal and radiation flows in buildings. In 1989 he received the award of the Slovenian ministry for research and technology (Kidrič award) for the work in the field of computer aided design of control systems. He visited Institute for Control Engineering, Darmstadt, Glasgow University, Delft University of Technology, Fachhochschulle Hannover, University of Glamorgan, Free University of Brussels, Technical University of Vienna, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahia Blanca, Argentina in the frame of several international projects. He is the author of more than 200 conference papers and 50 papers in scientific journals, co-author of one international book (published by Prentice Hall Inc.) and author or co-author of several books in Slovene language. He was the vice dean at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering University of Ljubljana 1999-2003, currently he is the head of the Laboratory of Modelling, Simulation and Control and the head of the Chair for Control, Systems and Cybernetics at the same faculty. He is the president of the Slovene Society for Modelling and Simulation (1994-2002 and from 2010). He was the president of EUROSIM, the federation of European simulation societies in the period 2004-2007 and the congress chair of the 6th EUROSIM congress 2007 in Ljubljana. Currently he is the secretary of EUROSIM.
- ZUPANČIČ, Borut, SODJA, Anton. Computer-aided physical multi-domain modelling : some experiences from education and industrial applications. Simulation modelling practice and theory, 2013, vol. 33, pp. 45-67, 2013.
- Gorazd Karer, Gašper Mušič, Igor Škrjanc, Borut Zupančič. Feedforward control of a class of hybrid systems using an inverse model. Mathematics and computers in simulation, 2010.
- Sodja, A, B. Zupančič. Modelling thermal processes in buildings using an object-oriented approach and Modelica. Simulation modelling practice and theory, Jul. 2009, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1143-1159, 2009.
- Javier Causa, Gorazd Karer, Alfredo Núnez, Doris Sáez, Igor Škrjanc, Borut Zupančič. Hybrid fuzzy predictive control based on genetic algorithms for the temperature control of a batch reactor. Computers and Chemical Engineering 32 (2008) 3254–3263, 2008.
- Gorazd Karer, Igor Škrjanc, Borut Zupančič. Self-adaptive predictive functional control of the temperature in an exothermic batch reactor. Chemical Engineering and Processing, 2008.
- Klančar, G., B. Zupančič, R. Karba. Modelling and Simulation of a Group of Mobile Robots. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 647-658, 2007.
- TROBEC LAH, Mateja, ZUPANČIČ, Borut, PETERNELJ, Jožef, KRAINER, Aleš. Daylight illuminance control with fuzzy logic. Sol. energy, vol. 80, 307-321, 2006.
- TROBEC LAH, Mateja, ZUPANČIČ, Borut, KRAINER, Aleš. Fuzzy control for the illumination and temperature comfort in a test chamber. Build. environ., December, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1626-1637, 2005.
- JAKLIČ, Anton, KOLENKO, Tomaž, ZUPANČIČ, Borut. The influence of the space between the billets on the productivity of a continuous walking-beam furnace. Appl. therm. eng.. [Print ed.], vol. 25, no. 5-6, pp. 783-795, 2005.
- Potočnik, B., G. Mušič and B. Zupančič. Model predictive control of discrete-time hybrid systems with discrete inputs. ISA Transactions, Vol. 44 (2), pp. 199-211, 2005.
- Potočnik, B., G. Mušič and B. Zupančič. A New Technique for Translating Discrete Hybrid Automata into Piecewise Affine System. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 41-57, 2004.
- Potočnik, B., A. Bemporad, F.D. Torrisi, G. Mušič and B. Zupančič. Hybrid modelling and optimal control of a Multiproduct Batch Plant. Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 12, pp. 1127-1137, 2004.
- Klančar, G., M. Lepetič, R. Karba, B. Zupančič. Robot soccer collision modelling and validataion in multi-agent simulator. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 137-150, 2003.
- JAKLIČ, Anton, GLOGOVAC, Branislav, KOLENKO, Tomaž, ZUPANČIČ, Borut, TEŽAK, Bojan. A simulation of heat transfer during billet transport. Appl. therm. eng.. [Print ed.], no. 22, pp.873-883, 2002.
- Škrjanc, I., B. Zupančič, B. Furlan, A. Krainer. Theoretical and experimental Fuzzy modelling of building thermal dynamic response. Build. environ., Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1023-1038, 2001.
- Mušič, G., D. Matko and B. Zupančič. Modelling Synthesis and Simulation of Supervisory Process Control Systems. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, Vol. 6., No. 2, pp. 169-189, 2000.
- B. Zupančič. Modular hierarchical modelling with SIMCOS language. Math. comput. simul., Vol. 46, pp. 67-76, 1998.
- M. Atanasijević - Kunc, R. Karba, B. Zupančič. Multipupose modelling in the evaluation of laboratory pilot plant. Simulation Practice and Theory, International Journal of the Federation of European Simulation Societies, 5, (1997), Elsevier, ISSN 0928-4869, pp.751-776, 1997.
- M.Ostroveršnik, Z.Šehić, B. Zupančič, M.Sega. Concept representation of the softwre tool PIDMaster for systems modelling and controllers tuning. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 37(1994), Elsevier, pp. 125-131, 1994.
- B.Zupančič, R.Karba, D.Matko, M.Atanasijević-Kunc. Educational Aspects of CAD Supported Real Time Control. IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 36, No. 3, August 1993, pp. 340-347, 1993.
- Matko, D., B. Zupančič, F. Bremšak, P. Šega and R. Karba. Phasor Diagram analysis of the LMS Adaptive Notch Filter. IEEE Trans., Vol. AC-25, No. 3 (1980), pp. 582-585, 1980.
- Zupančič, B., A. Sodja. Object oriented modelling of variable envelope properties in buildings. WSEAS transactions on systems and control, Dec. 2008, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1046-1056, 2008.
- Gorazd Karer, Gašper Mušič, Igor Škrjanc, Borut Zupančič. Model predictive control of nonlinear hybrid systems with discrete inputs employing a hybrid fuzzy model. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems 2 (2008) 491-509, 2008.
- ZUPANČIČ, Borut, ZAUNER, Günther, BREITENECKER, Felix. Modeling and simulation in process technology with Modelica. V: BRUZZONE, Agostino G. (ur.), WILLIAMS, Edward (ur.). Proceedings of the 2005 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, July 24-28, 2005, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA, (Simulation series, vol. 37, no. 4). San Diego: The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, cop.,pp. 207-212, 2005.
- ZUPANČIČ, Borut, ŠKRJANC, Igor, KRAINER, Aleš, TROBEC LAH, Mateja. Harmonization of thermal and daylight flows with modelling, simulation and control system design in buildings. V: LUŽAR - STIFFLER, Vesna (ur.), HLJUZ DOBRIĆ, Vesna (ur.). ITI 2004 : proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces, June 7-10, 2004, Cavtat, (Dubrovnik), Croatia, pp. 579-584, 2004.
- Mušič, G., M. Šikovc and B. Zupančič. Process Modelling for Hybrid Control. Systems Analysis Modelling Simulation, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 695-712, 2002.
- Zupančič, B., I. Škrjanc, A. Krainer, M. Atanasijević - Kunc. Simulation and Control System design of thermal conditions in building using active and passive resources. Proc. Of EUROSIM 2001 (Heemink, A. W., L.. Dekker, H. de Swaan Arons, I. Smit, T. L. van Stijn eds.), Delft, 7 pages on CD, 2001.
- ZUPANČIČ, Borut, KLOPČIČ, Marko, KARBA, Rihard. Tuning of fuzzy logic controller with genetic algorithm. Informatica (Ljublj.), vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 559-564, 1999.
- JURIČIĆ, Đani, STRMČNIK, Stanko, KARBA, Rihard, ZUPANČIČ, Borut, ČERNETIČ, Janko. Continuing education in control engineering : experiences and perspectives of a small country. Eur. j. eng. educ., vol. 24, pp. 385-393, 1999.
- Zupančič. Extension software for real-time control system design and implementation with MATLAB-SIMULINK. Simul. pract. theory, Vol. 6, pp. 703-719, 1998.
- B. Zupančič, G. Mušič, D. Matko, R. Karba, M. Atanasijević - Kunc. Unified environment for the Control System Simulation, Design and Autocoding. Proceedings of the 13th Triennial World Congress, San Francisco, USA, 30th June - 5th July 1996, Vol. L, 5c-01 6, pp. 241-246, 1996.
- B. Zupančič, M. Jekl, R. Karba. Hybrid Experimenting System as an Extension of Simulation Language Simcos. SAMS, 1995, Vol. 20, pp. 161-171, 1995.
- R.Karba, S.Primozic, A.Mrhar, B.Zupančič, M.Atanasijević-Kunc, D.Matko. Modeling and Simulation of Drug Pharmacokinetics under the Conditions of Plasmapheresis. International Journal of Modelling & Simulation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1994, pp. 41-48, 1994.
- Matko, D., B. Zupančič and R. Karba. Simulation and modelling of Continuous Systems: A Case study Approach. Prentice Hall Int., Oxford, 1992.
[back to staff list]